Raasay Primary School to be tested for radon gas

Raasay Primary School is to be tested for radon gas this month as part of an ongoing Highland Council programme.

The school is one of 34 which will be checked for the gas throughout the month, with this current phase testing schools with a lower probability of radon gas being present.

Radon is a radioactive, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which comes from the tiny amounts of uranium that occur naturally in all rocks and soils and can seep out of the ground and build up in houses and indoor workplaces. The highest levels are usually found in underground spaces such as basements, caves and mines but high concentrations can also be found in the ground floor of buildings.

Small passive detectors will be placed in various confined spaces within properties for three months before the results are analysed. Where low levels of radon exist — less than 400 Becquerels per cubic metre — no further action will be required. However, where radon levels are found to be above above 400 Bq, steps will be taken to reduce the level, normally by increasing the ventilation under a suspended floor or sucking out the radon from under a solid floor using a fan.