Four in a row for Iochdar Saints

Iochdar Saints made it four Uist and Barra League titles in a row with an 8-1 win over Southend at Liniclate last Friday night.

Southend had no answer to the pace and power of the Saints side. They did contain them for the opening 20 minutess, but once Carl ‘Doo Doos’ Macphee scored the first goal the floodgates opened. Macphee went on to complete his hat-trick and Ally Downie grabbed a brace, with Angus ‘Nooie’ Campbell, Scott Matheson and Joe Macinnes also on the scoresheet for the champions.

Jack Bainbridge scored a consolation goal for Southend, but this result means they will almost certainly finish at the foot of the table.

With a 2-1 home win over Barra at Liniclate on Saturday, Benbecula narrowed the gap to only two points as they chase Barra for the runners-up spot in the table.

James Davidson had given Barra the lead early on in Saturday’s match. After good work by Neil ‘Sinky’ Sinclair he squared for Davidson to tap in from close range. Benbecula were back on terms by half time after Scott Mackay raced to the bye line before picking out ‘Hecky’ Macphee who drilled home from six yards. The home side then took the points with a superb finish from Gary Skinner who volleyed home from 22 yards.

North Uist United pulled clear of Southend at the foot of the table with a 3-2 victory over Eriskay at Paible School last Friday evening.

Eriskay had the first opportunity from the penalty spot, but although Norman Macinnes found the net the goal was ruled out for encroachment by one of his his own team-mates. North Uist responded to this let-off almost immediately with a goal from Andrew Currie who latched on to a through ball from Mark Macinnes and finished with a superb lob over the stranded keeper.

Before half time Eriskay were back on level terms. Following a corner the ball bobbled about in the area before Norman Macinnes finally got a touch to knock it into the net.

Both sides had chances in the second half before the game burst into life during the final 15 minutes. First Norman Macinnes looked to have won another penalty for Eriskay but the referee failed to see the challenge, and Macinnes was sent off for his reaction. However, despite having their captain sidelined Eriskay took the lead when Ally Macdonald rose high to meet a corner and bullet a header past United keeper Menzies.

United threw caution to the wind in the last few minutes. They won a penalty after Jamie Macdonald was fouled in the box and John ‘JC’ Cameron converted from the spot. And with the game going into time added on Andrew Macsween headed home a winner for North Uist.