Lovat again mount stubborn resistance against Skye

Lovat 2
Skye 5
(H.T. 1-0)

Skye recorded their second victory over Lovat in seven days — but once again the Balgate youngsters made life tricky for the title-chasing islanders.

A deflected Danny Kelly goal after 34 minutes gave the home side a half-time lead, and it took the late introduction of the experienced Aonghas “Nui” MacDonald into the Skye forward line to make certain of the points for Skye.

Skye travelled east without Shockie MacLennan, who was working, while Iain Murray , Danny Morrison and the injured Kenny Campbell were also absent. Back into the squad came Jordan Murchison and Neil MacVicar, while youngster Ally “Cloudie” MacLeod was also handed a chance with the senior team.

After struggling at times in the first period, Skye were much improved after the break and Jordan Murchison blasted home a terrific equaliser four minutes after the restart. That goal set the tone for some nice finishing from Skye, with a sweetly-hit backhand drive from Ally “Spod” MacLeod putting the islanders ahead with six minutes of the second half played. Four minutes later Will Cowie got in on the act by netting Skye’s third.

But Lovat refused to wilt, and Conall MacIllechar reduced the arrears with 26 minutes to play before MacDonald’s introduction proved decisive for Skye.

With 15 minutes left MacDonald bustled his way past several challenges before firing home to settle any Skye nerves. And victory was complete seconds later when “Cloudie” MacLeod once again showed his eye for goal, darting in from the wing to make it 5-2.

In recent years Aonghas MacDonald has had his playing career curtailed by an arthritic hip condition but he remains determined to play a part when he can, said Skye boss John MacLeod.

“Nui has been referred to a new physio, and so far he has been feeling a lot better,” the Skye boss added. “On Saturday he made a big difference. He’s a great option to have — even from the bench.”

Skye host Inverness in Portree this Saturday and should have a full squad – minus long-term casualty Kenny Campbell — for what is their last match before the Camanachd Cup semi-final meeting with Glenurquhart on 16th August.